Sunday, January 31, 2010

New Downtown Burlington Bio Bus Route






“Starting Feb. 1, the Kernodle Center and EV! will be launching the new BioBus pilot program for the spring to create a stronger bond between the university and the Burlington community through service learning, and providing more business for the local economy”

I have been going down into Downtown Burlington for the last 3 years to go antiquing and jewelry hunting. There is a really great woman’s thrift store downtown that has provided me with some interesting pieces over the years. I really like the area but there are a lot of abandoned stores and it always looks abandoned. My roommate and I became really good friends with a jewelry seller on one of the side streets. She made her own jewelry and sold consignment clothes at a really good price. It was a really great store and even though I tried my best to spread the word, she went out of business last winter.
There is a lot of potential in downtown Burlington and I always thought that the Elon community could do a lot to help that area. I have a lot of beef with the island that Elon inhabits within this community. We have hundreds of Mac computers and dozens of video cameras at our disposal but we complain about late fees and broken printers. Don’t get me wrong, a lot of people at Elon do a lot of great things. Pelican Scholars is a great program but how much are we doing in the community around us? Burlington has a terrible illiteracy rate and a good amount of the population is underneath the poverty line.
I want to start featuring some of possibilities for fun in the Burlington area. If you have any stories to share, email me at showard4@elon.edu.
Here is some more info:


Departs from Moseley Center parking lot

-1 hour loop
-Monday-Thursday
-Departs at 2:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m. (5:30 is last pick-up)
-The loop has six stops with most partnering service sites* within a 10 minute walking radius
-This route can be used for any purpose, as it is a public bus system that starts and ends at Elon. Bring a group of friends to try out a new cafe, volunteer at the Boys and Girls club, work part-time or visit May Memorial Library.
-For more information join us at College Coffee on Feb. 2 or email us: elonvols@elon.edu












No comments: